Scraps of Mark Lanegan

a 360° su musica e cultura pop
AFX
Amministratore

Re: Scraps of Mark Lanegan

Post by AFX » 12 Jul 2017 14:07

Il nuovo EP di remix 'Still Life With Roses' (OUT: 29 settembre)

L'EP uscirà il 29 Settembre via Heavenly Recordings [PIAS] e sarà disponibile in formato vinile 12" e download digitale.

Questa la tracklist completa:

Still Life With Roses:

1. Nocturne (Adrian Sherwood remix)

2. Blue Blue Sea (Not Waving Remix)

3. Old Swan (Pye Corner Audio remix)

4. Beehive (Andrew Weatherall remix)

5. Beehive (Andrew Weatherall dub)

6. Death's Head Tattoo (Falling Percussion Dub)

Hanno scritto di Gargoyle :

"Bringing diverse soundscapes and lyrical moods into a hugely enjoyable whole, Lanegan ascends to goth-synth perfection... A triumph." MOJO – 5 Stars *****

"A bravura statement from an artist still sounding fresh three decades into his career." The Observer – 5 Stars *****

"Think Depeche Mode at their darkest and pitch-shift Dave Gahan's voice down an octave, and you're close to the appeal of Gargoyle, Lanegan's darkly compelling new album." Uncut – 8/10

"Glorious... Lanegan is in the form of his career." The Guardian – 4 Stars ****

"Gargoyle takes the electronic bedrock of its predecessor and kicks it up a notch." Q – 4 Stars ****

"Lanegan is on fine form here... Gargoyle continues the electronica sound of past albums, but this time the songs seem more expansive and – whisper it quietly – upbeat." Sunday Times

"Lanegan's tenth LP is a thing of dark and brooding brilliance."The Sun – 4 Stars ****

"An album of multifarious treasures... Lanegan sounds rejuvenated." Record Collector – 4 Stars ****

"Cinematic musical backdrops frame Lanegan's voice in a noir landscape... Arguably Lanegan's most accomplished album yet." Louder Than War – 9/10

"Gargoyle picks up on the electro–noir of its predecessors... Lanegan is on daring and seductive form throughout." Classic Rock – 8/10

"Gargoyle has an early 80s UK electronic rock feel, with Lanegan's rough vocal rasp sawing through musical timbres reminiscent of what was being played out at Manchester's Factory." The WIRE

"Another excellent album... While the imagery remains predominantly dark, there are glints of optimism and lightness of spirit peeking through some songs." The i Paper – 4 Stars ****

"Lanegan's solo career has been consistently engaging, showcasing the artistic freedom of a man following his instincts." Total Guitar – 4 Stars ****

"A menacing Krautrock air pervades, with Nocturne a wonderful fog of driven reverb–heavy guitars, propulsive bass and Lanegan's weathered vocals." Long Live Vinyl – 4 Stars ****

"A menacing Krautrock air pervades, with Nocturne a wonderful fog of reverby guitars, propellant bass and Lanegan's weathered vocals." Guitar & Bass – 9/10

"A tireless and sturdy body of work, alternating between chilling folk and glowering electro–rock." Mail On Sunday

La Mark Lanegan Band concluderà quest'anno di grande successo con un nuovo tour che li porterà in Italia per due show esclusivi, il 29 Ottobre al Vox di Nonantola (Modena) e il 30 Ottobre al Fabrique di Milano (info: www.indipendente.com). Di seguito tutte le date del tour autunnale:

29th October – NONANTOLA, ITALY – Vox Club

30th October – MILAN, ITALY – Fabrique
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 25 Aug 2018 14:25

https://open.spotify.com/album/422mq9EK ... YFXf3wVhtA disco direttamente in streaming
cerchiamo link a questo punto
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 01 Sep 2018 08:00

Sta piacendo molto molto ai fan storici. Si parla di nuovo highlight di carriera. Vero?
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

Odradek

Post by Odradek » 01 Sep 2018 11:04

Non l’ho ancora provato.
Baci scritti non arrivano a destinazione, ma vengono bevuti dai fantasmi lungo il tragitto. Franz Kafka

Fai sempre da sobrio quello che dici di fare quando sei sbronzo. Imparerai a tenere chiusa la bocca. Ernest Hemingway

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 03 Sep 2018 20:33

Molto diverso dal precedente che pure era bello. In fondo basta la sua voce e qualche base semplice sotto. Poco condimento è sufficiente con quella voce.
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 09 Sep 2018 14:00

questo non l'avevo visto
consigliato a tutti gli appassionati di Lanegan
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 08 Oct 2018 08:39

http://doyourealize.it/mark-lanegan-duk ... h-animals/

l'ultimo e altri discorsi fatti altre volte nel forum
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 24 Apr 2019 10:32

spinge il nuovo Lanegan, madonna
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 22 Jul 2019 17:59

c'è il singolo Letter Never Sent su Spotify. Fa cagare arancione

Near the end of the last song on Mark Lanegan's outstanding 11th solo album - Somebody's Knocking- there's a line that sticks in the listener's mind long after the record stops spinning.

"I felt its sound/down to my darkest, deepest root"

Coming towards the close of the track "Two Bells Ringing At Once", a gorgeous hymnal constructed from hazy ambient tones and swelling strings, those words might just sum up the driven artist's unshakable compulsion to create as well as the music lover's perpetual necessity to keep on seeking new sounds. And Mark Lanegan is very much both of those things.

From the opening bars of "Disbelief Suspension" onwards, it's clear that Somebody's Knocking is an album made by someone deeply obsessed with how music - with all its primal, spiritual healing power - truly penetrates the soul. As a result, there's joy in the music, as if created from a perfect set of inspirations smashed and grabbed from God's own record shop.

Some of the influences are oblique, others direct and fully respectful. From the Raw Power-esque garage metal grind of that opener to "Letter Never Sent's" rocket-powered take on Love-era kaleidoscope-psych, through the pensive subterranean murk of "Dark Disco Jag" and on to "Playing Nero's" sun-bleached riff on Joy Division's "Atmosphere", there's the glee of infatuation running deep in the tracks. And, in some ways, that display of infatuation serves to change the very perception of Lanegan the artist - this album being less the tale of a brooding, crepuscular rock'n'roll veteran and more that of someone consumed by a lifelong love of words and sound fused together.

With that perception shift in mind, one of the most remarkable moments on Somebody's Knocking is "Penthouse High" a track that positively blooms, sounding like a love letter to imperial phase New Order. For Lanegan, it signals a return to one of his formative musical loves from a time even before he joined Screaming Trees.

"I've always been into electronic music since I was a kid," he says. "I think the reason those elements have become more obvious in my music is that my tastes have changed as I've grown older. The bulk of what I listen to now is electronic. Alain Johannes and I had actually written Penthouse High for Gargoyle (the 2017 album the Guardian stated saw "Lanegan in the form of his career") but then it didn't really fit on that record. I have been a huge fan of New Order and Depeche Mode forever and have wanted to do a song along those lines for a long time - a blatantly catchy, old-school dance-type song."

Although Somebody's Knocking came together in an eleven day session in L.A. (Lanegan's hometown of the last twenty two years), many of the deepest musical influences on the record are European, be they the aforementioned electronic artists or newer, murkier forms provided by writing partners Martin Jenkins (who records as Pye Corner Audio for Ghost Box) or Rob Marshall, a collaborator on Gargoyle and on his own, forthcoming debut album as Humanist. In each case, Lanegan approached working with each of the writers from the perspective of a fan.

"Rob approached me a couple years ago about doing some some songs for his band. I liked it immediately, and found it easy to write melodies and words to, so i said sure. After that, he sent me an email thanking me and said that if i'd ever like him to do something for me, just give him a shout. This time round, I needed some tunes and took Rob up on his offer. He gave me music for five tracks. With Martin Jenkins, I'd been a long-time fan of his electronic music - I've had him work on both my remix records in the past," says Mark.

Lyrically, Somebody's Knocking sets the listener off down multiple rabbit holes, painting deeply psychedelic pictures where someone's "drip, drip, dripping acid out of the dropper" ("Disbelief Suspension") or where "the hounds are behind me/footsteps following/you know you can't find me/I'm miles from the crime scene" on the monumentally addictive Stitch It Up. More often than not, Lanegan's lyrics are written reactively to music.

"I feel like I write lyrics instinctively. I let the melody come first and then it tells me what the words are going to beand I write whatever feels appropriate. That said, I'm also influenced by everything I'm into. I don't usually like to talk about what a song means to me; I prefer that the people who connect with a song do so with their own interpretation. It never crossed my mind what Neil Young meant by After The Gold Rush, only the personal movie it created in my head. My entire life, all the music that I've connected to has drawn me in like that. Joy Division, Nick Drake, Son House, Thirteenth Floor Elevators, the Gun Club... all the music that meant the most to me, the music that saved my life was the music that told my own story back to me."

While on the whole, interpretations are left for the listener to decide on, there are aspects of the real world that can't help but seep subconsciously into Lanegan's songs.

"It seems to me that the entire world is in a weird, precarious place right now. I try to not be someone in a constant state of worry and alarm but watching the massive divide that is taking place and the political situations, especially in the US and UK makes me think, "what the fuck are these idiots thinking?" The hatred, racism and all this other fear-driven shit, these "adults" that continually drive the machine that perpetuates this ignorance to their own ends should all be in the prison cells instead of the non-violent drug "offenders" in them now. I can't specifically say how any of this effects my writing but I know that most of the things that occupy my thoughts have a way of coming back out in a song."

At the end of the day though, Somebody's Knocking doesn't need to be either commentary or allegory. Like Lanegan's best work, it tells its own stories and weaves its own wonders, conjuring up feverish hallucinogenic visions to sit atop roughly hewn rock and glassy, brilliant bright electronics. And then it leaves them to penetrate their own ways right down to our deepest, darkest roots.

Press acclaim for Mark Lanegan:
"It features, as always, Lanegan's smoky, whiskey-soaked baritone singing voice (if you're unfamiliar, imagining a more soulful Leonard Cohen puts you in the ballpark), and it continues his ongoing explorations of synth music" -Dangerous Minds

"[It] is stunning not only for the music's scintillating sheen, but also for Lanegan's excellent performance. His gruff baritone has always been reminiscent of Leonard Cohen, but here he recalls the late great's iridescent lyrics with a moribund romanticism." - Stereogum

"The one constant has been Lanegan's moody, melancholic soul-shaker of a voice." -The A.V. Club

"Gargoyle has an early 80s UK electronic rock feel, with Lanegan's rough vocal rasp sawing through musical timbres reminiscent of what was being played out at Manchester's Factory." - The WIRE

"Bringing diverse soundscapes and lyrical moods into a hugely enjoyable whole, Lanegan ascends to goth-synth perfection... A triumph." - MOJO

Somebody's Knocking track listing:

1. Disbelief Suspension
2. Letter Never Sent
3. Night Flight To Kabul
4. Dark Disco Jag
5. Gazing From The Shore
6. Stitch It Up
7. Playing Nero
8. Penthouse High
9. Paper hat
10. Name and Number
11. War Horse