già già...JAZZ!

a 360° su musica e cultura pop
AFX
Amministratore

Re: già già...JAZZ!

Post by AFX » 14 Jun 2015 11:20

Comunque difficilmente morirà uno più importante di lui quest'anno.
Last edited by AFX on 12 Jan 2017 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

Decades
Amministratore

Post by Decades » 10 Aug 2015 08:31

Se ne è parlato tantissimo, ma The Epic di Kamasi Washington non potevamo recensirlo (sì, avete letto bene)

http://doyourealize.it/recensioni/outer ... -epic.html

madsun

Post by madsun » 10 Aug 2015 12:37

io ci sto provando...ma tutto insieme è davvero un mastodonte, quasi impossibile...
poi ci sono dei momenti che va e mi ci perdo dentro.

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 03 Jan 2016 15:22

http://www.bluenote.com

mi piace molto il formato dei layout di questa etichetta
ho solo:
Herbie Hancock: Maiden Voyage
Eric Dolphy: Out to Lunch

mi domandavo se qualcuno sa quali altri titoli imprescindibili di questa etichetta dovrei possedere.
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » 03 Jan 2016 17:42

John Coltrane - Blue Train da prendere a occhi chiusi, lo vedo sempre in offerta (anche a me piace molto l'estetica Blue Note). Poi Point Of Departure di Hill.
Last edited by Scavenger on 03 Jan 2016 17:44, edited 3 times in total.

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 03 Jan 2016 18:04

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/the-rudy-va ... -smith.php
qui, delle Rudy Van Gelder Editions di cui stiamo parlando, consigliano in particolare:

Julius Hemphill - Blue Boyé
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Dexter Gordon - Go!

e l'album di Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch già citato.

John Coltrane - Blue Train aggiungiamocelo noi
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 03 Jan 2016 18:11

da questo blog invece prendiamo i 10 album essenziali editi dalla Impulse!

http://blogcritics.org/heard-on-impulse ... e-records/
Ten Impulse Records Releases You Must Own

10) Liberation Music Orchestra, Charlie Haden (1969) – Haden is a virtuoso bassist, but he consistently proves that imagination is more important than skill in jazz. Especially on Liberation Music Orchestra, a big-band, spirit-of-the-sixties protest album that channels world music and the vibe of the rock festivals. The album covers those lefty causes of Vietnam, the civil rights movement, and even Che Guevara. It's contemporary and tangential to the work of Gil Scott-Heron and perhaps Eddie Gale, but Haden's album sounds nothing like either of those two…or, for that matter, anything else.
9) Space is the Place, Sun Ra (1972) – Perhaps I'm biased because it was my introduction to Sun Ra, but I find Space is the Place to be a logical starting point for almost anyone. If for no other reason, the sheer variety should do the trick: the theatrical, soulful title track, the flat-out swing of "Images," the afro-jazz of "Discipline," the — well, just what it says it is — of "Sea of Sounds," and the weird but funny revisiting of Ra's classic "Rocket Number Nine Takes Off for the Planet Venus." Plus, Sun Ra's headgear on the cover is really cool.
8) Attica Blues, Archie Shepp (1972) – Four for Trane is the Shepp that most probably would pick, but I find Attica Blues just as good and far more interesting. Shepp does something between suite and collection of tracks with this album — his response to the Attica Prison uprising and the bloodshed that resulted — but also gathers together an unusual big band that's as firmly rooted in funk and Miles-y fusion as it is in avant-garde dissonance and skronk. Surprisingly, the poetic "invocations" that separate some of the tracks are often as riveting as the music itself…and that's a compliment.
7) East Broadway Run Down, Sonny Rollins (1966) – Oh, this one will trip you up, it will — far from the electrifying runs and mad swing of Saxophone Colossus, it's Sonny on the outskirts of tonality and structure. But while it's not as iconic as, say, his soundtrack to Alfie (also on Impulse!), the (mostly) trio date shows jazz's most relentless — and relentlessly insecure — talent taking one of the biggest risks of his turbulent career and coming out on the other side in triumph. That's always valuable listening.
6) Journey in Satchidananda, Alice Coltrane (1970) – Psychedelic stuff, this is, brought to you by the widow Trane. Alice follows St. John's path into raga drones and timbral experiments (oud, tambura, bells, and Alice's own harp), but almost all tricked out inside of blues structures. The rhythms, on the other hand, are both unprecedented and unparalleled. Not jazz for the new initiate, but heavy stuff for lovers of the Coltrane legacy, psychedelia, and even more obscure music like krautrock.
5) Blues and the Abstract Truth, Oliver Nelson (1961) – Talk about an all-star lineup! Nelson on tenor and alto; Eric Dolphy on alto and flute; Freddie Hubbard on trumpet; George Barrow on baritone; Bill Evans on piano; Paul Chambers on bass; Roy Haynes on drums — probably the most harmonically advanced ensemble of musicians since the concert at Massey Hall. Graceful and fluent, the album fits its title to a T — blues and angular abstraction, through the lens of elegant modern jazz. Plus it features Nelson's version of his standard "Stolen Moments" – a piece of music made in heaven.
4) Out of the Cool, Gil Evans (1960) – Impressive though Evans is as a composer, his real genius is as an arranger, and nowhere is that more apparent than on this big-band date. The presence of musicians from several eras and backgrounds only adds colors to Evans' cerebral, yet sweepingly gorgeous charts, which exhibit his uncanny ear for voicings and interplay (not to mention a most interesting use of slap-tonguing).

3) Love Cry, Albert Ayler (1964) – While his ESP work was Ayler's avant-garde manifesto, Love Cry was living proof that avant-garde jazz was rooted in the great black music of earlier era and a testament to free improvisation as music for the gut, not just the head. Love Cry is as much earthy gospel, R&B, soul, and march as it is free jazz, some of that thanks to the direction of creative drummer Milford Graves but all of it Ayler to the core. Damned essential.

2) The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Charles Mingus (1963) – My favorite composer in any genre, Mingus at his best is a pillar of everything jazz should be: complex, beautiful, saucy, textured, rich in its own history, and above all, unique. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is a ballet in six movements (and the only album I've ever seen with liner notes by the performer's therapist). It is at the vanguard to be sure, but bluesy and swinging as all hell, with bold experiments in harmony, voicings, and multilayered orchestral colors. As far as subgenre, though, it only fits comfortably into one: "Mingus music."
1) A Love Supreme, John Coltrane (1964) – Was there ever any doubt as to what Number One would be? Trane's magnum opus remains, after more than forty years, staggering. It is dense, challenging, overwhelming, and exhausting, but it's also quite possibly the most exhilarating piece of music ever recorded — even more than Beethoven's Ninth. A Love Supreme is a sonic monument to God, one that will make the most hardened atheist look into the sky and smile.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (1962) and Further Definitions, Benny Carter (1961). The least avant-garde recordings on this list, and that's the best thing about them: here are three giants who epitomize the Duke's favorite compliment, "beyond category." Ellington and Bean were a part of jazz from its youth to its maturity, as was Carter (who was only slightly less important than the former two), yet no matter what the era around them, they always sounded fresh and modern. And that, folks, is what we call "timeless."
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » 04 Jan 2016 13:57

Quello di Oliver Nelson l'ho ascoltato spesso, è uno di quegli album da cui si potrebbe partire.
Comunque, per quanto il jazz sia una musica prettamente americana, anche in Europa abbiamo dei nomi grossi...Willem Breuker ad esempio, compositore a tutto campo che si è mosso al confine fra big band e free jazz. Il suo "In Holland" è uno dei miei dischi preferiti e non posso fare altro che consigliarlo.
Poi c'è Peter Brötzmann, che con "Machine Gun" ha creato uno degli album più estremi della scena free europea e non. L'altro tedesco Alexander von Schlippenbach, il cui pianismo intenso emerge fra le note di "Pakistani Pomade". E come non citare Barry Guy e la London Jazz Composers' Orchestra, che sono vicini al sound di certa musica contemporanea. Imprescindibile è anche "Astigmatic" di Krzysztof Komeda, colui che ha lavorato con Polanski (nota la colonna sonora di Rosemary's Baby).

Dall'immenso Bernstein c'è sempre da imparare. Quello che poi è spesso considerato come il più grande genio musicale del Novecento, in un periodo storico in cui i geni abbondavano, aveva già assimilato il jazz alla fine della Prima Guerra Mondiale:

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Last edited by Scavenger on 04 Jan 2016 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 04 Jan 2016 23:00

La faccenda si fa intellettuale. Questo topic l'abbiamo trascurato troppo a lungo.
Prendo nota, o meglio so che ho questo topic dove tornare per scegliere i prossimi acquisti.

Listino Blue Note fatto, listino Impulse! fatto, mancherebbero i classici della Atlantic e quelli della Prestige.
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » 04 Jan 2016 23:53

Un'ottima guida penso sia il testo di Carlo Boccadoro, compositore e direttore d'orchestra con Sentieri Selvaggi. Su Amazon si può consultare l'anteprima.
Precedentemente avevo citato il testo di Stefano Zenni, che avevo dovuto studiare quando scelsi di dare l'esame di musica all'università, ma data la sua complessità mi orienterei eventualmente su letture più intuitive e alla portata di tutti.