Oneohtrix Punto Mai

a 360° su musica e cultura pop
AFX
Amministratore

Re: Oneohtrix Punto Mai

Post by AFX » 18 Dec 2019 10:52

AFX wrote: 16 Dec 2019 13:58 sono in ascolto, niente male anche se è pur sempre una OST
troppo il film si sente, non si riascolta la seconda volta
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

dissonance

Post by dissonance » 24 Sep 2020 16:27

Oneohtrix Point Never's next album is called Magic Oneohtrix Point Never.

Last night, Daniel Lopatin shared a teaser video via Instagram with new music and graphics that call back to his original Magic Oneohtrix Point Never alias. (His debut album, Betrayed In The Octagon, was originally put out under this name.)

Today Lopatin has revealed more details of his new, 17-track album, due out October 30th via Warp Records, that's inspired by classic American radio formats and quirks. He's also releasing Drive Time Suite today as a taster for what's to come. It features three new albums tracks, "Cross Talk I,' "Auto & Allo" and "Long Road Home," on which Caroline Polachek contributes vocals.

Tracklist
Drive Time Suite
01. Cross Talk I
02. Auto & Allo
03. Long Road Home

Magic Oneohtrix Point Never
01. Cross Talk I
02. Auto & Allo
03. Long Road Home
04. Cross Talk II
05. I Don't Love Me Anymore
06. Bow Ecco
07. The Whether Channel
08. No Nightmares
09. Cross Talk III
10. Tales From The Trash Stratum
11. Answering Machine
12. Imago
13. Cross Talk IV / Radio Lonelys
14. Lost But Never Alone
15. Shifting
16. Wave Idea
17. Nothing's Special

Drive Time Suite is out now on Warp Records, with Magic Oneohtrix Point Never to come on October 30th, 2020.

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 24 Sep 2020 21:55

An eponymous album is a symbolic highlight in an artist's career. Though often reserved for the beginning of a catalogue, the tradition has also been evoked to designate a celebratory body of work that looks back and epitomizes a defining cultural moment. Oneohtrix Point Never categorically challenges most standard notions of linear thinking in music, constantly shifting within traditional paradigms, unwinding and re-weaving digital sensory triggers into contemporary sonatas. Out today, the Drive Time Suite of "Cross Talk I," "Auto & Allo," and "Long Road Home" (which includes vocals by Caroline Polachek) serves as a prelude for the eagerly anticipated return from Daniel Lopatin, the New York based artist and producer, whose name has become synonymous with era-defining art.

At the end of 2019 Lopatin soundtracked one of the most unanimously critically acclaimed film scores of recent history, an anxiety-driven joyride paired to the Safdie Brothers' noir thriller Uncut Gems. Prior to that release, Lopatin's celebrated album Age Of (Warp 2018) foreshadowed a universal feeling of shifting tides that cuts even deeper today in the current state of world affairs, Now, Lopatin turns the dial towards his own inner frequencies, drawing from the origins of OPN as a means to discover a new found sense of levity and spirit during tumultuous times. The structure of Magic Oneohtrix Point Never "mOPN" itself loosely summons the broadcasting logic of radio dayparts, starting in the morning and ending overnight, latticed together with kaleidoscopic, twitchy transformations of sound between the dials. Lopatin has long been engaged with radio as a mode of aleatory listening. The now defunct "Beautiful Music" format popularized later as "easy listening" and "new age" are just one of the many colors heard on mOPN. Lopatin also collages together archival recordings of various American FM station's "format flips", in which detourned DJ sign-offs collide with advertisements and self help mantras to form darkly humorous reflections on American music culture.

Magic Oneohtrix Point Never, the name a reference to a misheard play on words of Boston's Magic 106.7, is a nostalgic and self-referential career defining body of work, collaging maximalist baroque-pop within atmospheric glitter. Here Lopatin has mastered his own autobiography; an ornate musical double entendre from an artist making the most enlightened music of his career.

Oneohtrix Point Never has always been meticulous and evocative, from the deconstructed plunderphonics of Replica and R Plus Seven, to the alt rock and chamber pop songwriting of Garden Of Delete and Age Of, to the symphonic nature of his scores for Uncut Gems and Good Time, to his production work for other artists. Magic Oneohtrix Point Never synthesizes all elements of his previous material to craft a cohesive humanistic masterwork, rendering the self-titling of the album as much a reference to his roots as to his entrenchment in the present moment.
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

toolipano

Post by toolipano » 24 Sep 2020 22:57

Grande notizia. Presentata così sembra roba ambiziosa

Biascica

Post by Biascica » 25 Sep 2020 14:46

“Long Road Home” è un bel pezzo. All’inizio ho pensato “Eccalla, Age Of volume 2” invece sembra ritornare alle complessità di Rplus7, sempre con l’aspirazione a creare un tipo di pop che possa contenere la follia di Daniel. Sono fiducioso. Artwork molto discutibile peró :sick:

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 27 Sep 2020 17:46

Biascica wrote: 25 Sep 2020 14:46 “Long Road Home” è un bel pezzo. All’inizio ho pensato “Eccalla, Age Of volume 2” invece sembra ritornare alle complessità di Rplus7, sempre con l’aspirazione a creare un tipo di pop che possa contenere la follia di Daniel. Sono fiducioso. Artwork molto discutibile peró :sick:
io mi rendo conto che Rifts, RPlus7 e Returnal sono quelli che ascolto più volentieri.
Devo comprare Age Of che mi manca. Garden of Delete ha dei momenti di genialità, è un disco POP se vogliamo, ma fatico ad ascoltarlo per intero.
Replica ormai l'ho ascoltato troppo
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 15 Oct 2020 18:04

DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter

dissonance

Post by dissonance » 26 Oct 2020 18:10

Midday Suite EP fuori ora, ossia quattro tracce che seguiranno in ordine di tracklist quelle uscite in precedenza
Una volta a casa ascolterò, chi può dica la sua

toolipano

Post by toolipano » 30 Oct 2020 17:18

dissonance wrote: 30 Oct 2020 12:37 Capitolo OPN, ne siete venuti a capo?
Sembra avere due facce: la prima metà è la sua versione del pop odierno, la seconda invece è più sulle corde di R+7
Ci vorranno ripetuti ascolti per capirne l'effettivo valore, ma per adesso non mi ha spiazzato come speravo
Dopo un paio di ascolti nemmeno io ne sono venuto completamente a capo, però la parte più pop così di primo acchito mi sembra pensata meglio rispetto a Age Of.
Che non sia un capolavoro possiamo già dirlo.

AFX
Amministratore

Post by AFX » 31 Oct 2020 09:14

Da Garden of Delete in poi ha preso un nuovo corso, che vuole avvicinare la sua elettronica al pop. Ci sta.
DoYouRealize

follow me on Twitter